Sunday, April 15, 2007

Hard Questions

While pondering whether to ramp up my involvement with Unity08 -- specificially around voting methods -- I've been forced to ask the question: does Unity08's philosophy align with my core beliefs? Or, more bluntly, do my political preferences align with what I believe God wants?

At the risk of speaking out of turn, I did manage to identify four things I believe God does want from our leaders:

  • Integrity

  • Justice

  • Concern for Poor

  • Humility before Him

The question is, how do I translate that -- especially the last! -- into a secular context?

Well, Unity08 does have this concept of a New American Agenda, where the delegates pose what they consider the most important questions for potential candidates to address. So, here's my best attempt to address the issues I feel are on God's heart (and I'm hoping will be on mine):

  1. Tell me about a time you were forced to choose between integrity and expediency? How about one where you made the wrong choice?

  2. What is the best long-term solution to reducing both the crime rate and our prison population?

  3. Do you believe is possible to eliminate structural poverty in the United States? How? When?

  4. How does your understanding of "God" (whatever that means to you) shape the way you make decisions?

To be honest, I don't how to answer those questions. But I do think we as a people would be much better off if we had leaders who did.

No comments: